Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center 2016-2019 Strategic Plan
Chaired by CHSC board member, Tracy Oliver, eight members of the board of directors and the senior management team completed an intensive 6-month planning process which was facilitated by David Kantor, Principal of Kantor Consulting. Additional input was provided by CHSC's staff, clients, and community stakeholders through one-on-one and small-group interviews. The strategic priorities for the next three years were established using our vision of our organization in 2026.
The goal of our strategic planning process was to create an economically and socially sustainable future for CHSC. Economic sustainability means that we will operate with financial surplus that will allow us to invest in valuable programs that benefit the communication health of our entire community. Social sustainability means that we maintain our commitment to serve all individuals in the community, including those who are unable to pay.
The strategic priorities for the next three years were established using our vision of our organization in 2026. The 2026 Strategic Direction of CHSC is to focus on providing services across the whole of Cuyahoga County and border areas of adjacent counties. To achieve the goal of county-wide access to our premier services, we recognize a need to provide our services in more locations. By 2026, we expect that the community will recognize CHSC as the premier provider of services for communication disorders and deafness. We will be known for research, training partnerships and collaborations, state-of-the-art technology used for diagnosing and treating communication disorders and serving the Deaf community. We will publish measured outcomes across all lines of service.
With this ambitious vision for 2026 in mind, we created the following strategies for the next three years.
2016-19 Priority Strategies
Increase our accessibility to the community throughout Cuyahoga County and the borders of selected adjacent counties
Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications plan that builds brand awareness, enhances image of the agency and supports philanthropy and volume growth among targeted segments of the community
Develop and implement systems and processes to document and continuously improve client outcomes across all lines of service
Research and Training
Expand our research activities to support our community perception, national recognition, outcomes initiatives and financial position. Research and training at CHSC will serve to increase the evidence base in diagnostics and treatment of speech-language and hearing disorders and service delivery to the Deaf community.
Leverage technology to evolve our service portfolio to provide innovative solutions to our targeted segments of the community.
Strategic Initiative 1:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will provide services and programs that are broadly accessible, state-of-the-art and outcome-focused.
- Goal 1: Increase access to quality services and programs
- Goal 2: Create a stronger working relationship with the deaf/deaf community
Strategic Initiative 2:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will attract, retain and develop the best talent to ensure the continued success of the agency.
- Goal 1: Continue to recruit and retain high-quality staff and volunteers
- Goal 2: Enhance and strengthen the executive leadership of the agency
- Goal 3: Continue to increase the impact of the board of directors
Strategic Initiative 3:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will continue to aggressively pursue the development and innovative use of technology to improve services and operations.
- Goal 1: Incorporate technology to enhance current services and create new services
- Goal 2: Continue to develop active applied research projects
Strategic Initiative 4:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will enhance its financial strength by diversifying its revenue model and pursuing additional products and markets.
- Goal 1: Pursue a more diversified revenue model that increases market share across the full spectrum of clientele while maintaining our mission focus
- Goal 2: Develop and promote new services and products
- Goal 3: Create and promote a culture that values entrepreneurialism, innovation and client focus.
- Goal 4: Increase collaborative relationships with health care organizations and other potential referral sources
- Goal 5: Secure funding to provide continued support to underserved populations
Strategic Initiative 5:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will advocate aggressively for its constituents to raise awareness among the community and policymakers.
- Goal 1: Increase awareness of CHSC's services and programs across all audiences
- Goal 2: Increase legislative advocacy at the local, state and federal levels
- Goal 3: Be a thought leader for both lay and professional communities
Strategic Initiative 6:
Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center will continue to develop a comprehensive program of philanthropy.
- Goal 1: Increase and diversify funding sources
- Goal 2: Expand major gifts and planned giving efforts
CHSC is grateful to the Cleveland Foundation, who provided financial support for our strategic planning process.