American Sign Language Interpreter
The ASL Agency Interpreter at Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center (CHSC) plays a key role in the language and cultural integration of the multifaceted teams that support our mission to the community. You will provide American Sign Language interpreting for the valued deaf and hard of hearing team members at CHSC ensuring access to information, optimal collaboration within and across agency teams, and high-level employee engagement. You will represent these valued employees both within the agency and in the community will do so professionally and with a high level of accuracy with regard to message and communicative intent. Additional responsibilities will include other center-based interpreting assignments including board meetings, committee meetings, CHSC department meetings, clinical appointments, and interpreting for videos that are recorded for special messages and events. You will create a catalog of regional signs and acronyms important for the success of other CHSC interpreters and will also help to document the language needs of other CHSC team members so that they can be skillfully interpreted in the community. As CHSC deploys its regional video remote interpreting (VRI) services, you will be key to the implementation and will work as an interpreter for the VRI services as your schedule allows. Finally, you will develop curricula for workshops to be offered to interpreters across the region, thereby improving the expertise and knowledge of the entire interpreting community.
Major Duties and Expectations
1. Strictly abide by the Interpreters’ Code of Ethics
2. Understand and support the CHSC mission and vision, “A community where all people can communicate effectively.”
3. Provide in-person sign language interpreting
- In-Center for deaf and hard of hearing staff
- In the community for deaf and hard of hearing staff
- In-Center for board meetings, committee meetings, and all-staff meetings
- In-Center for the clinical appointments of clients requiring communication accommodation
- In-Center for deaf and hard of hearing community members who need to interact with front-desk Client Care Coordinators
- In-Center for the recording of videos of people who use spoken language for special messages or events
4. Provide video remote sign language interpreting, as schedule allows
5. Completes administrative duties:
- Develops and maintains CHSC proprietary records in a timely manner on client service demographics, service provided, and other related CHSC documentation.
- Provides support and back-up for our operations manager (scheduling/phones)
- Set up VRI for our staff
- Other duties as assigned
6. Expands clinical, legal, medical, mental health, educational and academic training and preparation for our staff
- Prepares our staff for licensure and certification from the national body of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
- Attends trade shows, develops articles and videos for articles for literature, journals, magazines, videos, our website etc.
- Attends conferences and seminars within budget
- Mentors and assess CHSC Staff interpreters
7. Develops and participates in educational and/or public relations’ programs for Interpreters, community professionals regarding the mission and efforts of CHSC and particularly Interpreting as appropriate to career path:
- Works with and educates staff on the laws, regulations and pending legislation (including the American with Disabilities Act (ADA)) regarding deaf and hard of hearing issues.
- Back up support for our 24 hour emergency paging system
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Interpreting.